5 WAYS TO AVOID CAKEY MAKEUP
Foundation that melts into the skin and provides a natural lit-from-within glow can feel unattainable if you frequently experience cakey makeup or foundation breaking up on the face. This kind of textured finish can highlight imperfections and dry patches, or even create an aged appearance as makeup seeps into fine lines and wrinkles. Though it’s easy to blame a heavy hand when applying foundation, too much product isn’t always the culprit. Ahead, learn the how to avoid common base makeup mistakes that cause cakey makeup to achieve a smooth, undetectable finish.
What causes cakey foundation?
Patchy or textured foundation is often referred to as ‘cakey’, and typically looks as though too much product has been applied. This isn’t always the case though - other causes of cakey foundation include:
- Formulas not suited to your skin type. These can slide around on the face and accumulate in areas.
- Improper blending or forgetting to set base makeup. This can result in foundation breaking up on the face.
- Neglecting skincare such as moisturiser. This may lead to a flaky, dehydrated finish.
It’s not always easy to determine which factor is responsible for a textured finish. No matter the cause, prevent cakey makeup with our techniques for how to apply foundation.
Our top 5 tips to prevent cakey foundation
Learning proper makeup application techniques and establishing skin prep steps are key elements of achieving flawless base makeup. To bypass common makeup mistakes that lead to a cakey finish, try implementing the following habits:
- Build a daily skincare routine.
- Colour match foundation to your skin tone.
- Consider your skin type.
- Learn how to apply foundation properly.
- Regularly clean and sanitize makeup tools.
Let’s examine these steps and how to build them into your makeup routine.
Tip 1: Administer proper skincare
Taking time each day to care for your skin with a regular routine, including daily moisturiser and weekly exfoliation, can help you achieve a smooth canvas for applying foundation. To avoid textured or cakey makeup, it’s also important to select the correct skin prep steps for makeup prior to application:
- Cleanse with a gentle face wash to remove impurities from the skin.
- Moisturise with a nourishing face cream designed for your skin type.
- Prime the skin to support a smooth complexion and seamless foundation application.
- Wait for skincare to absorb before applying complexion makeup to help avoid foundation breaking up on the face.
Tip 2: Colour match foundation to skin tone
Colour matching foundation to your skin tone is an essential step in achieving impeccable base makeup. While colour doesn’t have much to do with texture, using the wrong shade can emphasize makeup imperfections like foundation breaking up on the face or a textured finish. When it comes to how to apply foundation, a perfect shade match has a seamless appearance – so it should be a high priority when selecting foundation.
Tip 3: Consider skin type when choosing a formula
Your chosen foundation formula needs to interact well with your skin type in order to achieve a perfected look. While supporting your skin with a consistent and effective skincare regime is helpful to avoid cakey makeup, a suitable foundation formula is just as essential.
- Oily skin can benefit from the oil absorbing properties of the Neo Nude Fusion Powder, for veil-like coverage with a natural finish that blurs pores and fine lines.
- Dry skin loves hydrating foundation formulas, so the Power Fabric+ Full Coverage Liquid Foundation is ideal for its lightweight feel and velvet finish that stays comfortable all day.
- Combination skin can see flawless coverage and a refined complexion with the Luminous Silk Foundation, infused with iridescent particles for a radiant effect.
Tip 4: Learn how to apply foundation with proper techniques
Applying foundation using incorrect application techniques can result in cakey foundation, or foundation breaking up on the face. Understanding how to apply liquid foundation properly can improve the appearance of your makeup base.
- Powder foundation: Powder formulas are best applied by pressing the product into the skin with a powder puff, or for a barely-there style, use a fluffy powder brush to tap product over oil-prone areas.
- Liquid foundation: Makeup brushes with densely packed, synthetic bristles are ideal for liquid foundation, while the slightly pointed shape of the Armani blender brush allows for precise, even application.
Tip 5: Maintain makeup application tools
Selecting the best makeup brushes and tools and maintaining them is important for a variety of reasons. Clean, sanitised makeup brushes are best for skin health but also to ensure your base makeup isn’t altered by old product. When it comes to applying liquid foundation, build up on brushes can lead to cakey makeup by creating an uneven finish, texture issues, and clogging pores. Take time to wash and sanitise your makeup brushes every week to support healthy looking skin and a smooth makeup base.
Loved this article? Now you know how to avoid cakey foundation, continue to polish your makeup skills with our guide to feathered, fluffy and sculpted brows.